Published: Wed 6 February, 2019
- Everyone Active chosen as NWLDC’s leisure management partner
- New £22 million leisure centre to be built in Coalville – expected 2021
- £1.2 million revamp of Ashby Leisure Centre and Lido to take place in 2019
- £1 million to be invested in leisure facilities in Castle Donington, Ibstock and Measham
The leisure partner that will build a new leisure centre in Coalville, transform the leisure centre at Ashby de la Zouch and manage both centres for the next 25 years has been chosen.
Everyone Active has won the contract to manage the centres in partnership with North West Leicestershire District Council (NWLDC).
Based in Hinckley, the company currently operates numerous leisure facilities in Leicestershire, including in Melton, Oadby and Wigston and Blaby.
With the contract starting in May 2019, work totalling almost £1.2 million to reconfigure and revamp Hood Park Leisure Centre – which will be renamed Ashby Leisure Centre and Lido – will begin in August and be completed in November 2019.
Planning permission is required for the new £22 million Coalville Leisure Centre, which will be built on council-owned land off Stephenson Way (A511). The new centre will take around 18 months to build and is expected to open in 2021.
The plans for the Coalville centre will see the land turned into a parkland leisure destination, including a trim trail with activity stations, pedestrian and cycle access from Hermitage Recreation Ground and Stephenson College, and a high ropes course within the woodland. The centre itself will include:
- Eight lane 25 metre main pool, a learner pool with moveable floor
- 120 station Technogym gym, 25 spin cycles and three dance studios
- Café with healthy eating options
- Eight court sports hall and three squash courts
- Changing Places facility accessible from the lobby
- 250 car spaces
- Clip ‘n’ Climb and soft play programmed
- Sauna, steam and spa pool.
NWLDC has this week launched the Health and Wellbeing Strategy for the district, which will see a number of organisations working together to improve health outcomes in North West Leicestershire.
Everyone Active will contribute to improved health and wellbeing through a range of initiatives, including:
- Increasing participation at both centres
- Issuing almost 40,000 Everyone Active cards, providing access to the centres and a dedicated health tracking app
- Working in the community to provide activities and classes in community centres and other locations
- Targeted activities and online challenges for children and young people
- Improving opportunities for women and girls to get active
- Targeted activities and programmes for older people and people who have been referred by their GP.
Hermitage Leisure Centre in Whitwick will stay open until the new centre opens. Options for the site once the centre closes will be drawn up by the council after the start of the contract in May 2019.
Councillor Richard Blunt, Leader of NWLDC, said: “We’re very excited to announce the partnership between the council and Everyone Active, which will see a brand new leisure centre in Coalville, a revamped facility in Ashby and a real emphasis on health and wellbeing for our district.
“Everyone Active are highly respected in the leisure world; they have built and invested in top quality facilities across the country and we’re looking forward to seeing the positive changes they’ll bring to our district.”
NWLDC has recently agreed to invest an additional £1 million in leisure in Ibstock, Measham and Castle Donington, focussing on the fitness facilities within the centres there, which are run in partnership with local schools.
Councillor Alison Smith MBE, Deputy Leader and Portfolio Holder for Community Services at NWLDC, said: “Hermitage Leisure Centre is very popular with lots of loyal customers and excellent staff, but the building is very old and is no longer fit for purpose. The new leisure centre will provide excellent access to top quality facilities for the whole district. We’re also very pleased that the Ashby centre will receive over £1 million of investment, reconfiguring and refurbishing the whole centre to bring it up to modern standards and making the most of its unique outdoor lido.
“Add to this our investment in Castle Donington, Ibstock and Measham, and you can see the future of leisure in North West Leicestershire is very bright indeed.”
Everyone Active will take on the management of both Hermitage and Hood Park Leisure Centres, including the buildings and staff, and will run both centres while the new one is being built.
Dan Hicks, Everyone Active’s Area Contract Manager, said: “This is a very exciting time for leisure in Coalville and Ashby de la Zouch, with significant investments being made to provide state-of-the-art facilities for the local areas.
“Leicestershire is at the heart of Everyone Active – it’s where the company was first born over 30 years ago and we have vast experience of managing leisure centres within the area. We’re so pleased to partner with North West Leicestershire District Council and are very excited to get the refurbishments and building of the new centre underway.”